“Early genesis stories tells us earth was created for mankind by the gods.” — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

“Early genesis stories tells us earth was created for mankind by the gods.”

Here’s another under discussed issue that I believe can no longer be ignored, considering that genuine religious fanatics are talking over the US government.  

Dealing with people who believe they understand God’s Will and that they are actually God’s Warriors on some holy mission.  This comment came from over at CFI and got me started...

“Early genesis stories tells us earth was created for mankind by the gods.”

My wise ass, but dead serious and defensible, response:

So what?  Mother Goose told us the cow jumped over the moon.  What of it?

~~~~~~~~~

A few opening thoughts, be interesting if anyone has anything to add or share.

The Bible is a collection of books written by people who were trying to understand their place in the bigger universe and to consolidate a stable society.  The Bible was a great help.  It even has many truths in it, but I dare say most all fit under the category of Personal Truths, Community Truths and NOT Universal Truths!

Perhaps there is a God behind all of this wonder around us, but for human’s to presume that this God would be fixated on humans is ludicrous and as egomaniacal as the human mind can imagine.  Even crazier is to presume that we petty self-centered humans could be capable of actually grasping any real God of Creation and Time, Life and Love!

The best we can do is Shadow Plays, and our grand “Holy” Bible is but one human attempt to add some form to the ineffable.

It’s great in it’s time and place, but it is certainly no guide to understanding the physical universe that we were born from and that we will fold back into.

And it certainly wasn’t created for us, though humanity has certainly learned how to consume every resource it has to offer.  We will be leaving the stage sooner than most imagine, then time and tide will continue, the sun will rise and fall, and our Earth will cope with this latest insult in it’s time honored way.

dcpetterson

Comments

• edited December 2016
    The Bible is certainly not the only collection of creation myths. I don't put any more stock in its stories than in the myths and folktales of any other culture. Nor do I give any more (or, for that matter, any less) respect to the tribal god described in that book than I do to the various gods and goddesses acknowledged by anyone else.

I don't take anything in anyone's holy book as being anything more than the parables that particular culture told at one point in time. So when someone tells me, "The Bible says thus-and-so," and expect me to immediately see the wisdom of their viewpoint, I'm likely to begin talking about Shiva or Amaterasu or Enki, or maybe Illuvatar--or perhaps the next Star Wars movie. I guess i'm trying to say I see no reason to find anyone's interpretation of what's in the Bible to be, all by itself, a reason to do or to not do anything in particular.

A quote has stayed with my from the play "Inherit the Wind": The Bible is a book, and it's a good book. But it's not the only book.
    citizenschallenge
  • I agree, totally, trouble is it seems we are in the minority.  I'm suspecting it an even bigger minority than we dare recognize.  If we want to communicate with the other side we need to address that god thing they are fixated on and that calculating minds have learned to manipulate and harness into very, very destructive channels.

dcpetterson