Important climate milestones
Another short blog article
which fits in this category, I think. Here's a list of some recent climate-relevant achievements:
- The ParisAgreement - On 5 October 2016, the threshold for entry into force of the Paris Agreement was achieved. The Paris Agreement will enter into force on 4 November 2016.
- HFC phase down - There is a global agreement to phase down hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) which will have a big impact on the rate of warming this century.
- Reducing aviation emissions - The International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO) CORSIA resolution — Carbon Offset and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation — will cap aviation emissions at 2020 levels by 2027.
- BP won't explore the Great Australian Bight - Under the previous Labor Government, then Minister Martin Ferguson did a deal with BP to explore the pristine Great Australian Bight. BP has now said it won't be doing that, for cost reasons.
- Never again below 400 ppm - with the latest CO2 levels in the atmosphere at the lowest time of the year, it's clear that never again for a very long time will the atmosphere have less than 400 ppm CO2.